Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Cloth wipes... Again!

Since its gotten a bit colder, my cloth wipe solution isn't working for me anymore! My diaper station is right next to the window and the coconut oil solidifies in the bottle, making the solution a pain to get out of the bottle and a huge mess when it finally sprays out! I fiddled around and have landed on this recipe as my new favorite:



1T Avocado oil
2T baby shampoo
1/2tsp vitamin E oil (or one capsule broken open)
5 drops GSE
10 drops TTO
10 1/2 cups distilled water


You can adjust the recipe if you feel this makes too much, I just like to make a lot at once so I don't have to worry about it.

Tea Tree oil and grapefruit seed extract are both antibacterial and fungus fighting. Because this makes such a large batch, I like to have the essential oils in to be sure no bacterias can grow. Alternatively, GSE is wonderful against yeast. If you're fighting thrush or yeast diaper rash, up the GSE by a few drops.

I keep my solution in a spray bottle and wet each individual wipe before I use it. Soaking the wipes in solution and then storing them wet sets up the perfect breeding ground for nasty bacteria, so if you decide to pre moisten your wipes, add a bit extra tea tree oil to combat the bacteria (but be aware of your baby's sensitive skin!).

A few people have asked if I use disposable wipes for outside the home. I don't. Instead, I have a small bottle (a little plastic spray bottle from the travel section) full of solution and a couple wipes in the diaper bag for when we go out. Dirty wipes go in the wet bag and come home with us!
Let me know how this works for you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment