Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Crunchy? Crunchy.

Having a baby has made me question everything. I read every label and I research everything. Some of my friends tell me that's a bad thing, and to some extent it is (I go a little Google crazy). My hyper-awareness has made me very aware and very skeptical about every "normal" baby product. I don't want chemicals and carcinogens and toxins any where near my precious little peanut (formaldehyde in Johnson and Johnson's?!) so I've decided to go the "Crunchy" route.

I ditched that commercial baby wash and made my own! I poked around the internet until I figured out the best recipe for me. It was really easy! Here's what you need

1 1/2 bars soap, grated (I used Toms)
1/2 gallon distilled water
1 1/2 T vegetable glycerin oil
Essential oil (I used lavender)
Color, if desired (I didn't)

In a large pot combine soap and water. Heat over low heat until soap is melted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add glycerin, essential oil (no more than 25 drops) and color. Whisk until well combined (be prepared for bubbles!). I poured mine into a large tupperware container to cool at set, then transferred to mason jars for storage. All together, this probably cost around $10 (rounding up) to make, and will last a looong time. Far better for sweet baby skin, and great on the pocket.



So, you've heard how your antiperspirant is slowly killing you right? No? Well read about it here and here and breastfeeding moms here. So, I ditched the degree and made my own deodorant! I encourage you to kick the antiperspirant habit! Be warned, you're gonna stink. Your body actually has to detox from all the nasty chemicals! I used baby wipes and baking soda on my stinky pits for about a week, and then the stank disappeared! So, here's my deodorant recipe for you! I'm loving it! Thanks to Crunchy Betty for the inspiration

6 T coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot (I used cornstarch, I've since found arrowroot is better)
Tea tree oil (optional)
     note: coconut oil and tea tree oil both have wonderful antibacterial properties and will help fight stank!
Melt coconut oil over low heat. Incorporate baking soda and arrowroot. Add 15-20 drops of tea tree oil. Place in a CLEAN container and let set in fridge. Goes on like a lotion. Oh, and added bonus, you'll smell like you're on a tropical vacation all the time (you could try to overpower the coconut smell with another essential oil, but its a pretty powerful scent)


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Dallas - do you have deoterant stick containers for this or do you just apply with your fingers from a jar? Also do you have to keep it refrigerated to keep the solidity? I have seen a couple recipes that do...

    BTW - this is Dayna :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dayna! <3

      I just apply it with my fingers. I saved my old Degree container so I could use it, but I forgot to clean it out before I made the deodorant! So I'm saving it for next time. I don't keep it refrigerated. Melting the coconut oil first changes the texture after it solidifies again, so it's unnecessary. You might need to refrigerate it during the summer, though, depending on how warm you keep your house. :-)

      Delete