Sunday, February 17, 2013

"Attachment Parenting"

The term "Attachment Parenting" is one that seems to be thrown around a lot these days. Where did this term even come from? What other kind of parenting is there, truly? When did it become the normal thing to detach yourself from your child?

I've found these areas are most often talked about when discussing "Attachment Parenting":

1. Breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding

2. Co-sleeping/bed sharing

3. Baby wearing

4. Crying it out (CIO)

5. Spanking

I'm only going to touch on a few of these, because I haven't been a parent long enough to know any different.

Breastfeeding: I am breastfeeding. Breast is best. I can't say anything about the benefits of extended breastfeeding because Em is only 2 1/2 months, and I'll be ecstatic if we make it to 6.

Co-sleeping: I sleep with my daughter. It was never my intention to share my bed with her, but it's the only way she'll sleep most nights. So for both our sanity, I bed share. I would really like her to be in her own bed by 6 months, but along with her nighttime separation anxiety, I know I'll have my own to work through. I love baby snuggles. Now, it's not like I have anyone else to share my bed with right now, but I am not keen on the idea of a "family bed" at all.

Baby wearing: She wants to be held constantly. Solution: I wear her.

CIO: When she cries and I can't fix it, I want to curl up and die. Never.

Because of the way I do the things above, I've been accused of "Attachment Parenting". I've been told all kinds of things by veteran parents:
-Spoiling her by holding her
-Allowing her to become the boss forever by feeding on demand
-Need to let her exercise her lungs by crying
and so many more...

But everything I've been told goes directly against my instinct as a mother.
I'm not a helicopter, hippie dippie, attachment parent. I'm doing what comes feels right--what works for me and my baby. I'm just a mom, following her instincts.

3 comments:

  1. Well all I can say is I must be attachment parenting as well because I breast fed my kids, Brooke till she was 18 months, Amaya 3 months (went back to work or it would have been at least a year) Gabrielle till 1 and Grace till 2. I held my girls all the time and I cuddled and slept with them in my arms (the two youngest still find their way in my arms in the middle of the night) I rarely spank, if I do its for something like running out into the street. So if I attachment parent maybe that's why I'm so close to my kids. My daughters are strong, confident girls. I truely believe this is because they know they are loved! What's wrong with that? Our old school ideas of parenting are out dated and based on a society that felt showing love and affection was innapropriate. The only wrong parenting there is is nonparenting or under parenting. People are too afraid to dicipline (and I'm not referring to spanking) kids run all over adults and have a complete lack of respect. That will be the cause of the decline of society! Not loving your children, or as its labeled "attachment parenting" Dallas if you want to hold your baby and comfort her more power to you. She will grow up to love you for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree!!! Thank you, Danielle. :-)

      Delete
  2. When has "the world" ever been right, Dallas? Follow those instincts. God gave them to you for a reason. You're doing exactly what you were made to do as a mama. Go on, now. Be your BadAss Mommy self.

    ReplyDelete