Thursday, June 13, 2013

Emmalee's Breastmilk Birthday Cake

I had a half birthday party for my daughter. I know, super lame.

I am doing Baby Led Weaning (BLW) with Emmalee, so she hasn't really started "eating" food, she kinda just plays with it. She also has not had any sort of grains, because I didn't start with rice cereal.

I wanted Em to have a cake to celebrate, but I didn't want her eating sugar or gluten. I searched for some recipes and I found one which I thought was a pretty good starting point. Really, I'm surprised this recipe even turned out at all, because I tweaked it a lot and my measurements are slightly ridiculous. I halved the original recipe, which is why the measurements are strange.



2 T plus 2 tsp breast milk
1/4 tsp ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar)
1/2 tsp honey
A little less than 1/4 cup applesauce (wonky, I know. Guesstimate)
3/4 tsp vanilla
1 cup, plus 2 T, plus 2 tsp almond flour
A little more than 1/4 a tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt.

Preheat oven to 325. Line four spaces in a muffin tin (or, be a procrastinator like I am and be forced to grease the tin instead)
In a mixing bowl, combine the ACV and breast milk until it curdles. (Mine never curdled, but I waited until I could see a physical reaction and moved forward with the recipe) Mix in honey, applesauce, and vanilla. Slowly add in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cupcake comes out clean. (I'd make sure to watch your cakes closely).

That's it! I didn't frost them, because my 6 month old doesn't need frosting! To me, it tasted more like a biscuit but she loved them! Of course, you can always add more sweetener if you are adapting this for an older child. If you do add more, I'd substitute agave nectar for honey. Enjoy!







1 comment:

  1. Hi, i want to do this and i just want confirmation on some things, please: how many ounces of breast milk did you use? Did you only cook 4 muffins and so the rest of the muffin pan was empty and it was okay? I actually am hoping you will say these measurements were only for 4 cupcake/muffins because I only need a small cake... What did you use for the frosting..you wrote that you didn't make any, but the picture shows that there is icing. My son's 1st bday is next month and I would prefer him to have a healthier breast milk cake rather than store bought... Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete