Friday, June 14, 2013

Teething remedies

Teething sucks. Like, mega sucks. It's terrible to look at your miserable baby and feel totally and completely powerless to help them. It breaks my heart to see sweet Emmy fussy and whiny, because I know she doesn't feel well. Not to mention, it makes my job as Mom a whole lot harder (Did I pray for patience? I take it back).

Here are the things that help my peanut immensely:

Baltic Amber
Jump on the hippie train and get your baby a Baltic Amber necklace. Actually, while you're at it, get yourself one too. I didn't believe this stuff could work--until I tried it. Baltic Amber is fossilized tree resin. When its warmed (like when its against your skin) it releases succinic acid, which acts as an analgesic. A completely natural way to to reduce inflammation, thereby making those teething symptoms disappear.

Chamomile Tea
Some days, the amber just isn't enough. I purchased these popsicle molds from Walmart (I looked everywhere else, Walmart was a last resort!). I brewed very strong chamomile tea, and made Em some popsicles. The cold is soothing and the chamomile calming, a perfect combination to help remedy the pain. (Ask your doctor before you try this! I'm not a medical professional, just a blogger.)

Frozen Breastmilk 
What's more comforting than mommy's milk? Probably nothing. I use the same popsicle molds for breast milk.

Snuggles
=)

Hylands Teething Tablets
These are pretty near my last resort. You may have seen the recall floating around, don't worry, it's from 2010. They were pulled from the shelves and completely reformulated. I hesitate to use these because they contain Belladona, and I'm just not crazy about my daughter consuming it.

Lastly,

Tylenol
Tylenol is my absolute last resort. I'd rather not use it at all. But three-four days into some serious teething and lack of sleep, something has got to give. I'm a single mom, I don't get breaks! Be sure to consult your doctor on the proper dosage for your baby. If your baby is on the cusp of dosage weight wise, opt to go for the lower one. Acetaminophen is rough on the liver and your baby isn't working with a whole lot. =)

Hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment