Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Breastmilk Smash Cake!

Emmalee is one! I can't believe this year has gone by so quickly. Bittersweet.

I celebrated Em's half birthday, and I made her a breastmilk cupcake (biscuit, really). I wanted to keep her on the healthy route for her first birthday, so I decided to make her a breastmilk smash cake! You can read my original post here.

I went with whole wheat flour this time, instead of gluten free. Every gluten free baked recipe I've tried has turned out disastrous, so I didn't want to take my chances ruining this one! You'll need:



2/3 cup of breastmilk, which is roughly 4.5 ounces. If you don't have enough you can supplement with coconut milk. I had 3.5 ounces of frozen milk to use, the rest was coconut.
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
1/3 applesauce
11/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries (or your fruit of choice!)

Frosting:
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cups confectioner's sugar
2-3 tbsp Breastmilk (or coconut milk)
(optional) 1.5 tbsp beet juice (pink coloring)

Combine milk & ACV. Let sit for 2-3 minutes or until it starts to curdle. Mine has never curdled, any time I've used this recipe. I just waited until I saw movement (bubbles) and its turned out fine. Beat sugar, applesauce, and vanilla together until smooth. Mix in dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Stir in strawberries. Pour into two 6 inch round cake pans. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Frosting:
Beat room temperature butter until fluffy. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add beet juice. Stir in one tablespoon of milk at a time and beat until smooth.

Don't be surprised when you batter looks a little... strange! The coconut palm sugar combined with the whole wheat flour make for an interesting color!



Emmalee really enjoyed her cake! She didn't really dig in, she preferred to be dainty and not get messy!



What do you think of this breastmilk cake? Will you try it?


5 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for posting this recipe! Been searching EVERYWHERE for a breast milk cake recipe that's egg-free where I can add bananas to it! Got your post from Pinterest. You're a life saver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I hope your LO loves it!

      Delete
  2. If I want to use an egg instead of applesauce, would it just be one egg?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!!!! I can't wait to try this with my lo first b'day!! Is the acv mandatory?

    ReplyDelete